The Physical Planning Department is mandated to ensure the provision of qualitative infrastructural facilities in Public Schools by the
States, FCT, Donor Agencies and direct intervention by the Federal Government.
The major functions of the department include:
- Setting up of minimum standards for Basic Education infrastructure.
- Assessment and vetting of the infrastructural component of State Universal Basic Education Boards (SUBEBs) Action Plans
- Participating in the Monitoring of Approved Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC)/State Universal Basic Education Boards
(SUBEBs) executed projects.
- Participating in the preparation of short, medium and long term budgets for the Commission. Carrying out market surveys for basic
construction materials with a view to updating cost norms for Basic Education Infrastructural projects across the all country and
to set cost specific benchmarks for each SUBEB in the Federation.
- Participating in the Monitoring of Special Education Projects and donor agencies projects.
- Attending to major maintenance of UBEC building facilities.
- Acting as technical partner on the projects of Donor Agencies such as Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Korea
International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) etc.
- Coordinating the activities of consultants for UBEC/SUBEBs intervention projects engaged by the Commission.
- Creating and updating the data base for projects in terms of approved proposals and confirmed deliverables.
The Department is headed by a Director and assisted by 2 assistant directors. It has three (3) major Units namely:
- Engineering and
- Quantity Surveying.