Social Mobilization encompasses Advocacy, Sensitization, and Mobilization of the general public to support
and participate in the decision of basic education in Nigeria. Social Mobilization therefore becomes an indispensable tool in the UBE
programme implementation for harnessing human and Materials resources from individuals, groups, private and public organizations at
Local, State, National And International Levels.
Since the UBE program is Community Based and Stakeholder driven in nature, it requires collective approach
for its successful implementation. The need to advocate, sensitize and mobilize Stakeholders especially all community members to key
in and participate in the implementation process is highly desirable. More so, the Nigerian constitution provides for the right of the
child to education, while the UBE act 2004 clearly declares basic education as free and compulsory. It is in order to undertake sound
advocacy, sensitization and mobilization of the general public for the delivery of basic education that the Department of Social
Mobilization was established in the Commission.
Social Mobilization being one of the departments in UBEC/SUBEB has the following specific functions to achieve its set objective:
- Carrying out mass mobilization, advocacy and sensitization of the general public in relation to basic education delivery
- Ensure that all relevant stakeholders buys-in the UBE programme as a peoples programme
- Carryout enrolment, retention and completion rate campaign at all levels of basic education.
- Encourage partnership and collaboration with communities initiative towards improvement of basic education through Self-Help
- Facilitate the establishment and sustainability of functional School Based Management Committees(SBMCs) in all basic schools
- Initiate collaborative social mobilization activities and programs that will lead to awareness of rights, privileges, roles and
responsibilities of all stakeholders in the basic education subsector.
- Raise the consciousness of Nigerians to their responsibilities in promoting the attainment of the set objectives of the UBE
- Encourage formal and non-formal education through public enlightenment activities, publications, radio and television jingles.
- Coordinate, sensitize and mobilize relevant stakeholders for inclusive education.
- Implementation of specific projects like HIV/AIDS, Almajiri, girl-child, boy-child, migrant/nomadic activities
- Working with LGAs to carryout community Mobilization, Advocacy and Sensitization activities
- Sensitization of Communities on responsibilities in education- Access, Retention and Completion
- Building community awareness on School health Issues, including HIV/AIDS
- Provide sufficient and outstanding grounds to inform stakeholders and the general public about UBE programme
- Forging partnership with key Stakeholders in basic education
- Community development and empowerment
- Encourage formal and non-formal education through enlightenment and publication.
- Provide sufficient and outstanding grounds to inform Stakeholders and general public about UBE programme
- Engaging donor agencies, philanthropists, and development partners
- Promoting and facilitating partnership like Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Community Based Organizations (CBOs), Faith
Based Organizations (FBOs) and International Donor Agencies.
The department is structured into 5 Units with Sections as folllows:
- Awareness and Buy-in-Strategies Unit
- Community Empowerment and Development Unit
- School Based Management Committee (SBMC)
- Community/Capacity Building
- Public and Private Partnerships Unit
- Local and International Donor Agencies and Development Partners
- Ministries Departments Agencies (MDAs)
- The Organized Private Sectors
- Inclusive Education Unit
- Special Education Public
- Special Education Private
- Testing of Vision and Hearing
- Rapid Response Initiatives Unit
- North-East Reconstruction
- Enrolment Drive
- National Social Investment Programme