The Department of Quality Assurance is one of the 10 Departments of the Commission. It is charged with the responsibility of ensuring high quality Basic Education through appropriate Quality Assurance mechanisms as well as prescribing, monitoring, evaluating and maintaining minimum standards, especially in the area of teaching and learning, in Basic Education institutions.
The Department has 3 Units: i. Assessment Unit; ii. Monitoring and Evaluation; iii. Zonal Office Matters and also supervised the Zonal and State offices till September, 2016. Each Unit is headed by the most senior officer in the unit.
- The main tasks of the Department are to prescribe and maintain minimum standards, monitor, appraise and evaluate the UBE Programme through the following mechanisms:
- Designing and implementing Quality Assurance activities and programmes for UBE.
- Establishing performance indicators for Monitoring and Evaluation of UBE programme.
- Carrying out regular Quality Assurance in Basic Education schools in Nigeria.
- Setting Monitoring and Ensuring Maintenance of Minimum Standards.
- Preparing and Reporting to UBEC Management on: Quality Assurance activities in Basic Education Programme; National Assessment of Learning Achievements (NALABE) and National Unified Continuous Assessment (NUCA)on regular basis.
- Developing Instruments for various monitoring activities of the Commission.
- Carrying out any other assignment that may be directed by the Executive Secretary/Management.