The Department of Special Programmes was established in the year 2014 to coordinate and implement all Special Programmes initiated by the Commission. Specfically, the department handles only programmes of Girl-Child and Boy Child education activities.
The Department is headed by a Director and assisted by other Officers. There are 2 Units namely:
- Provision of access and equity for the Out- of -School Children (OOSC) through effective collaboration with relevant UBEC Departments and other Government Agencies.
- Implementation of policy direction and activities that are geared toward reducing the existing gender disparity in access, retention, completion and gradual elimination of gender disparity in Basic Education.
- Effective collaboration with relevant departments, National and International Agencies to create appropriate opportunities for socialization and behavioral moulding along culturally acceptable norms and tradition.
- Liaise with relevant Departments to set a robust Monitoring and Evaluation Standards to enhance learning achievements of both the Boy and Girl-child education in the country.
- Collaborating with relevant Departments and Agencies for mass Mobilization, Sensitization, Advocacy and general public enlightenment for Stakeholders to key into the education of Boy and Girl Child in the country.
- Initiating activities and programmes that would assist the Commission achieve its objectives on OOSC.
- Provide feedback to relevant stakeholders on the activities of the Commission as it relates to Boy - Child and Girl- Child education programmes.
- Assist in the documentations of UBEC achievements recorded on the implementation of Boy-child and Girl-child education programmes for publication.